Top 20 Questions to ask your Wedding DJ
1. How many events (like yours) has the DJ actually done?
An experienced Specialist DJ, will have done 20, 40 or more successful events each year they’ve been in business. If they’re a Specialist DJ, then the bulk of those events should be weddings.
2. Has the DJ performed at your venue before?
While not imperative, it’s reassuring to know the DJ has performed in the room you’re considering. It’s helpful if the DJ knows the floor plan, the traffic patterns and the DJ may have an established working relationship with the venue.
3. Does the DJ provide references?
References are an important part of hiring any vendor. An experienced wedding DJ will be proud to offer you several references for you to check. This is available through Dublin Disco Hire.
4. Does the DJ have proof of insurance?
Insurance is a must, and many wedding reception locations will insist that all your vendors provide proof of adequate insurance coverage. I have full public liability insurance and a copy of my cert is available.
5. Is a deposit required to hold your date?
A deposit is the professionally accepted method of securing your date and DJ. A deposit gives you and us a firm sense of professional trust, commitment and well being. Wedding deposits are only €50 with Dublin Disco Hire.
6. When is the balance due?
The balance can be paid on the night directly to Karl or if you wish prior to your big day. Contact Karl for full details.
7. Is there a charge for over-time? It’s fair for the DJ to ask for over-time pay if the amount of over-time is significant. You’d be disappointed if your guests were having a great time and found at the last minute that the DJ can’t or won’t stay for an extra hour. I am very flexible in relation to over-time. I charge €30 per half hour after the initial 4 hours are up. Up to 3am.
8. Does the DJ offer extra options? (Multiple DJs, extra mics, lights, screens etc).
This is important for big or complex events and receptions. These days, it’s common for brides and grooms to want two or more sound systems, amplifying of vows, up lighting, dance floor washes and other options. If your DJ can’t provide these services, you may have to find the services through another vendor. Getting everything through one DJ service is less stressful and generally more economical. I offer Karaoke at no extra cost. Also Mood/Up Lighting for your venue. Wireless mics for your speeches and free use of our 32” plasma screen if you wish to have a photo display. Also fairy light dance floor or walls. Visit our website for a full list of my optional extras.
9. Does the DJ network with other vendors? (Photographers, musicians, officiates, etc).
A DJ with a network of other vendors can save the day, if your photographer or soloist cancels. Plus getting extra services through one vendor saves time and is more convenient. I work with a vast amount of other wedding professionals. Please feel free to contact me for more details.
10. Does the DJ Service belong to a professional organization?
A Professional DJ is usually a member of at least one or two local and national industry groups. Through their membership the DJ gets valuable info on the latest trends in style and music. With membership they often get discounts on top notch equipment, lighting and even health insurance. I am a full member of one of Irelands and the UKs top Wedding DJ’s networks.
11. Does the DJ have back up equipment for your event?
Very important. It’s rare, but electronics can fail and when a Laptop,CD player, microphone or cable fails, the DJ needs to have a replacement unit on site. I always carry backup equipment insuring your night goes without a hitch.
12. Does the DJ offer unlimited phone and email planning?
Karl will not only meet with you in person one or two times, but will make himself available by phone and email to discuss any detail relating to your event.
13. Can you choose some or all of your own music?
Dublin Disco Hire have massive music libraries for you to choose from and will gladly allow you to contribute your own music on CD or through mp3s. Contributing your own music should never be a problem.
14. Is there more than one DJ to choose from?
I always will state from the very start who will be your DJ on the night. Most of the time it will be me but you will be notified prior to your event if for some reason that I am not available. This could be due to illness. However I work with a vast amount of other professional wedding DJs and will always guarantee your wedding will be covered by a professional wedding DJ. In over twenty years of business I have NEVER let a single customer down and never will. Some DJs are single operators and the DJ you meet is the DJ you get. Other DJ services may have several performers for you to choose from.
15. Can you meet your specific DJ?
You should insist on meeting your DJ. If the service has more than one DJ available on your date, then ask to meet them.. The DJ you choose doesn’t have to be your new best friend, but you should feel comfortable and at ease with your DJ.
16. How will the DJ be dressed?
I will dress the way you want me to. If you require a tux, three piece suit, jacket and tie or a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops, I will accommodate you. Normally it’s a Black company shirt with black trousers and shoes.
17. Does the DJ take any breaks? It is quite normal for the DJ to take a ten to fifteen minute break. Usually when the evening buffet is being served.
18. Do you have to feed and tip your DJ?
No not at all. No DJ should ever drink alcohol before or during an event. Tipping is a very nice way to let the DJ know they did a great job. Tip only if you feel the DJ provided outstanding service throughout the entire process.
19. Is the DJ a full-time or part-time DJ?
A Professional wedding DJ is usually a full-time DJ, with no other employment obligations to get in the way of meetings, phone calls or any unexpected issues you may need to have handled. I run the company myself and do this on a full-time basis.
20. Why should you choose this DJ Service over another?
Listen carefully to the answer to this question. A professional wedding DJ will respond with a few brief and reassuring benefits as to why you should hire his or her company. I am only too happy to answer any of your questions and you can contact me 24/7.